Participants of the projects must be prepared to work in a “collocated” fashion. Due to Corona hygiene regulations, this will probably mean “virtual collocation”. It still means, however, that the team must agree on three common working days per week (e.g. Mon – Wed). Each work day starts with a (virtual) standup, and consists of development work in pairs (or at least with continuous presence in a messenger). In similar projects, Discord has work very well for that purpose.
Learning Outcome and Grading
The students will learn to train and run a machine learning algorithm based on a general-purpose platform, i.e. you have the chance to obtain practical knowledge in a type of project that will probably (in one way or another) dominate our IT solution space for years to come.
Formal Learning Outcome
- As a software developer on Master level, I am able to explore new IT technologies and evaluate their strengths, weaknesses and applicability to a given task, by performing the following steps:
- Capturing the goals for applying the IT technology, by obtaining that information from the appropriate stakeholders,
- Deriving assessment criteria from these goals,
- Defining an small but comprehensive application scenario for a Proof-of-Concept (PoC),
- Capture the business workflows and processes that the scenario is based on, by interviewing business experts (or by other suitable methods),
- Researching the details and background of the technology to be evaluated,
- Implementing the PoC-scenario in an agile manner in a team, applying craftsmanship in architecture and coding,
- Describing the PoC results in a compact but comprehensive documentation, so that others can follow my thoughts and conclusions, and can try out my prototype themselves, and
- Presenting my PoC project in a lively, interesting presentation,
- so that my assessment of the presentation helps others to decide the "if" and "how" questions for that technology.
Skill requirements in the project
- Experience in coding
- Ability to work in a development team
- Interest in dealing with complex technical environments
- Nice to have:
- Some exposure to machine learning or other AI applications
- Some experience with hosting environments, especially Docker
- Apache Kafka experience